First off, Taiwan is all about food. Food. Food. And more food.
Some Tips on Visiting Taiwan:
- It’s getting more affordable to travel to Taiwan. If you’re not fussy with flights, Air Asia and Cebu Pacific are some of the frequent budget airlines that go to Taiwan. To check on your flights take advantage of Skyscanner’s Cheapest Month feature.
- For Philippine passport holders, please don’t forget to apply for an e-visa! This is for free and can be done on Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Official Website.
- Accommodations are relatively affordable and I suggest that you stay near subway terminals as this makes all the traveling more convenient. Taiwan is a small country and you can go to the farthest north to the farthest south through a network of subways, trains, and buses that are all connected perfectly. I stayed in an apartment in the Banqiao district, then at Atami Hotel Taipei Onsen when I went to visit the famous hot springs at the Beitou area. Highly recommended!
- Download the Taiwan Transit (by Navitime) app. This will save you loads of time in trying to find the best subway, train, and bus routes. I also find it the most user-friendly among all the other apps available.
- Why I want to go back: Affordable food, affordable accommodations, loads to see in and out of Taipei, one hour away from the Philippines, and a country that’s forgiving for visitors who try as hard as they can to communicate with their basic Mandarin (not like the F*****). I would love to go back!
- As with any country in the world: do not quickly assume. Make sense of the why behind the what first and while you’re at it, get lost and find yourself. Happy travels! 🙂
P.S. The keys to sustainable travels are universal: take public transportation | stay in accommodations where cooking is allowed (private or shared, it doesn’t matter) | walk as much as you can | wake up early | stay away from guidebooks | immerse yourself in local language, culture and history | visit local cafés | know that the possibilities are endless | listen to your gut ❤